SEATTLE, WASH. – Seattle Sounders FC’s charitable partner RAVE Foundation today announced the opening of two new soccer fields at NewHolly’s Central Park, a culturally-rich, diverse and thriving Seattle Housing Authority development located between Beacon Hill and Rainier Valley in Seattle.
The celebratory opening event is scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday, May 24 from 3:30-5:30 p.m. PT, and is part of Rave Green’s mission to bring play equity to youth in Washington State through its Defend the Right to Play social justice arena for change. With the construction of these two new mini-fields – an initiative in collaboration with longtime partner Seattle House Authority – RAVE reinforces its commitment to build 26 small fields for free play by the end of 2026. Wednesday’s event is free and open to the public.
Media interested in covering Wednesday’s celebration should RSVP with Gisselle Pichardo of Sounders FC Communications [GisselleP@SoundersFC.com].
Hosted by former Sounder and current team Brand Ambassador Brad Evans, Wednesday’s event features a wide variety of entertainment, activities and special guests, including Deputy Mayor of Seattle Greg Wong, Seattle City Councilmember Theresa Mosqueda, SeattleFWC26 Chief Executive Officer Peter Tomozawa, Seattle Housing Authority Executive Director Rod Brandon and more.
All those coming out to the event can receive a brand new “WE ARE SEATTLE” FIFA World Cup 2026™-themed t-shirt while supplies last. Attendees can also enjoy a special musical performance by Tah-Jae and KPX, artists from The Residency, a program for young performers from low-income families launched in July 2015 as a collaboration between Seattle’s MoPOP, Arts Corps, and Grammy award-winning artists Macklemore and Ryan Lewis.
A selection of sweet and savory food truck options is available, hosted by RAVE Foundation, including Seoul Bowl, Gourmondo, Vego Eatz, Ma & Pops, Mike’s Shave Ice and Zuri’s Gourmet Donutz.
Additionally, guests can explore and participate in a range of activities including:
- Soccer Kung Fu – A showcase of Sounders FC, RAVE and Bruce Lee Foundation’s collaborative camp that infuses the teachings and philosophies of Bruce Lee with soccer skills training. The session is open to kids aged six and older.
- First Kicks – RAVE Foundation is bringing its “First Kicks” early learning program to NewHolly. First Kicks is designed for preschool students (ages three to five) and their parents. Wednesday’s session will be conducted by former Sounders and current team Brand Ambassador Brad Evans.
- Basketball Skills & Drills – Provided by the Seattle Storm at the newly resurfaced half basketball court adjacent to soccer fields, the Skills & Drills session is open to kids of all ages.
- I AM SEATTLE Self-Portraits – Fans of all ages are invited to create their own self-portrait using onsite photo printouts and tracing paper, a fun activity guided by artist and graphic designer Shayla Hufana. The I AM SEATTLE self-portraits will be combined in an artistic representation of WE ARE SEATTLE in celebration of the FIFA World Cup 2026™.
- NAAM Books & Balls Giveaway – Each child in attendance will be given a free book centering Black characters, written by Black authors and illustrated by Black artists, along with a high-quality soccer ball courtesy of RAVE Foundation. NAAM’s curated children’s books by Black authors and artists seek to not only help reflect personal experiences and reaffirm value for Black youth, but also allow all children to become familiar with diverse characters and storylines while enjoying a new book. These books are available for children while supplies last.
- 26 Fields by 2026 Soccer-Kick Challenge – A fun experience where kids and adults can take their chance to kick a soccer ball through a large inflatable target.
- Self-Guided Activities – These activities include a cornhole game, a giant Jenga yard game and more.
Through this new milestone at NewHolly, RAVE continues its commitment to build 26 small fields for free play by the end of 2026 in historically marginalized communities in the state – with the target date of completion in time for FIFA World Cup 2026™ – while also investing in and around those fields that use soccer as a vehicle to support the health and well-being of youth. To date, RAVE has built more than 13 mini-pitches throughout the region where access to free, available play-spaces is scarce, including two in Yakima at Barge-Lincoln Elementary School.
In addition and to celebrate Seattle being named as one of the host cities for the FIFA World Cup 2026™, the Rave Green are offering a special, limited-time deal for fans to attend the club’s upcoming two home matches for just $20.26, including Sounders FC’s home matches on May 27 and May 31, with a portion of the ticket proceeds to benefit RAVE Foundation’s 26 Fields by 2026 campaign. Fans should be aware that this limited-time offer ends on May 26 at 5:00 p.m. PT.
WHAT: NewHolly Celebration with Sounders FC and RAVE Foundation
Seattle City Councilmember Theresa Mosqueda
SeattleFWC26 Chief Executive Officer Peter Tomozawa
Lead NewHolly donor Thach Nguyen
RAVE Foundation Executive Director and Sounders FC VP of Philanthropy Ashley Fosberg
Former Sounder and current team Brand Ambassador Brad Evans
Sounders FC Broadcast talent and former player Steve Zakuani
RAVE Foundation 26 Fields by 2026 campaign donors
Sounders FC Front Office Leaders
Northwest African American Museum representatives
Seattle Storm and NewHolly’s Youth representatives
Seattle Housing Authority representatives
WHEN: Wednesday, May 24 – 3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. PT.
WHERE: NewHolly’s Central Park (S. Webster and 40th Ave. S. Seattle, WA 98445).
PARKING: Please plan to park at the NewHolly Gathering Hall (7054 32nd Avenue S. Seattle, WA 98445) and to walk to the event, as parking will be limited near the field location. Surrounding street parking is also available. Please note that 40th Avenue S. is closed to traffic for the event.
HOW: Media interested in attending to cover the event should RSVP with Gisselle Pichardo of Sounders FC Communications [GisselleP@SoundersFC.com].
More information about RAVE Foundation can be found at www.RaveFoundation.org. RAVE also welcomes donations to the general 26 Fields by 2026 campaign HERE.
- SOUNDERS FC -